Wednesday, September 2, 2009

EXTRA EXTRA, READ ALL ABOUT IT

Of all the things we talk about, why don’t we talk more about good news? You can assume you know what I mean, but what if our entire perception of good news (and the gospel) is a bit off-kilter?

What I mean is this: most of us Bible-belt-Sunday-school-raised-in-the-church “Christians” have a pretty accurate portrayal of the life of Jesus Christ. He was born of a virgin, grew up and did miracles, claimed to be the Son of God, died for the sins of the world, raised from the dead, and went up to heaven. The problem is that most of us think that is the good news in itself. We’ve over-commercialized John 3:16 and reduced it to a simple application of fire insurance accessed by the repeating of a designated prayer.

This is not the good news Jesus testifies about, and I wonder if it is also the source of so many sleeping “Christians.”

Yes, it is stunningly beautiful news to know that God became flesh and died for us, but what does the resurrection entail, and what did He mean when He said “I have come that you may have life and have it to the full?" For hundreds of years we’ve searched for fulfillment in things that have proven to be meaningless. Even Solomon, who had more money, more sex, more alcohol, more things, etc declares that “everything is meaningless.”

So what are we doing?

What are we counting as gain? What will that thing I'm obsessing over really bring me? Solomon had more things than I’ll ever have, and he says “everything is meaningless.” So surely no thing can be counted as gain. What about her? Will she really satisfy? And I’m not raising the question about lust, just the simple obsession with finding a spouse. Solomon said that even his 300 wives and 700 mistresses were “meaningless,” and Paul said it was good for the single “to stay unmarried.” What about comfort? Why is it that in the comfort of our friend groups we all too often find ourselves stagnant? And why do we often loose what the Lord has put on our hearts because it would just be uncomfortable to bring it up- especially among our “Christian” friends.

“But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. “What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ.”
Phil 3:7-8

This verse is not necessarily saying that you have to be homeless to follow Christ, but it is saying that when you truly follow Christ, nothing else will matter. This is life lived to fullness- To be joyful when you have money and when you don’t. To be satisfied when you’re on a mountaintop or in the desert- because God Himself is consistent and His grace is sufficient. This is ultimate freedom! This is news worthy! This is truly good news!

This is what I want my life to look like, and this blog will notate my journey to decrease and let the Lord increase. I hope it will encourage you.

No comments:

Post a Comment